These sugar-free, low carb, Chocolate Chip Espresso Muffins in a mug have been one of my favorites for years. It is also my go-to that I share with my coffee loving friends who are starting this diet. I first found a version of it on this blog which stopped publication as of a few years ago.
I am posting this tweaked version since I’ve done so many changes, but for the original recipe complete with instructions for cooking it in the oven, just click over there for as long as the blog is up. Another plus with this microwave muffin recipe is that it is one of the least “eggy” I’ve ever tried and now that I’ve converted it to THM Baking Blend the crumb is even better.
I’m including the original flours in the recipe for those who don’t have the blend because it still works well. This makes such a large cake that I have always had leftovers, so splitting it up to save one for later or share with a friend works well for this recipe. Either way, try it the first chance you get; it’s really good!
To receive all my latest recipes as they are posted be sure and leave your e-mail address in the field on the top left of this post. You can also leave comments on this blog or reach me for easier access on my FB Page. Also be sure and “like” my page there and follow on Pinterest. Oh and also I have a new account for Instagram so click over and follow me there too if you’d like.
I’ve included a banana flavoring option for my fellow adventurous types; if you like a banana flavor in baked goods you should give this option a try, I love it! One more thing to note is that the dough will not look like enough for a large mug cake when it’s wet. It will only yield a couple of tablespoons in each small mug, but it really rises well.
The first picture shows the standard ramekins. To bake it as one muffin, for two, I made it in an oversized ramekin (pictured) and sliced it to make a double layer.
Chocolate Chip, Espresso Muffins
Chocolate Chip Espresso Muffins
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- *1/4 cup THM Baking Blend **see note for substitutions
- 1 tablespoon Gentlesweet or 2 teaspoons Pyure or Truvia
- 1 egg, medium or large
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/8-1/4 tsp banana flavoring (I buy the Watkins brand at Wal-Mart)
- generous pinch mineral salt like Real Salt or THM mineral salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon Lily's chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee powder (I buy mine at Kroger)
Muffins in 2 small mugs or ramekins:
- Melt the butter in a small bowl if you are making two muffins. Once the butter is melted just add the ingredients in the order listed.
- If making two small muffins then divide the dough between them and microwave SEPARATELY for 40 seconds each.
Muffins in one large mug or ramekin:
- If using the large ramekin to make 1 cake then just melt it in that and mix right in the ramekin. Once the butter is melted just add the ingredients in the order listed. Cook for 1 minute.
While it is cooling whip up the topping:
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon cream cheese
2 teaspoons Gentle Sweet or 1 teaspoon powdered Pyure or Truvia
I whip the room temperature cream cheese first then add in the whipping cream and whip till it's light and fluffy and then whip in the sweetener. Extra chocolate chips are optional (I guess)? Wow that was hard to say because how can extra Lily's chocolate chips ever be optional? 🙂 Enjoy!
***Out of THM Baking Blend? Use (3 tablespoons almond flour/meal and 2 tablespoons flax meal) and omit the tsp of water.