Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels
- 4 oz. cream cheese - softened
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese (good quality and best to grate it yourself)
- 2 tablespoons hot pickled jalapeno peppers - chopped up well
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Duke's mayonnaise (it needs to spread well)
- 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 6 strips of thick cut bacon (or good flavored turkey might work too)
- 5-6 small Mission low carb flour tortillas with 3 net carbs (these were the ones I had but any low carb or on plan tortilla).
- Cook the bacon while you assemble the other ingredients.
- When I cook it on a stove top I cook it on low with a cover until it's done-ish for best flavor, then uncover and crisp on higher heat.
- But I make my bacon ahead and reheat it for dishes like this in the oven using the method I linked to above and I highly recommend this method.
- Put the cream cheese in a large bowl by itself and microwave it for 30 seconds. It should be mushy and stir-able not melted, the consistency of mayo.
- Finely grate the cheddar and put it in the bowl with the cream cheese, chopped jalapenos and mayo. Drain and chop the bacon and mix it into the mixture.
- To assemble, heat the tortillas slightly one or two at a time to soften, so they will roll easily, I microwave for 10 seconds or so just make sure your heat source softens and doesn't dry them out.
- Spread the cheese mixture over 2/3 of the tortilla, all the way out to the sides, so you don't end up with wasted tortilla on the ends. It has to be thick so that it will fan out as you roll it toward the outer edge.
- As you roll the paste on the 2/3 of the tortilla it spreads out to cover the empty side that you are rolling. (See photo's in this link if you have not made them, I changed it a little this year, but you'll get the idea).
- They really slice best when rolled up and chilled prior to slicing but I do it either way. If refrigerating ahead of time they are best if popped into the microwave for 15 seconds or so but they can be served cold.
Recipe by Nana's Little Kitchen at https://www.nanaslittlekitchen.com/jalapeno-popper-pinwheels-low-carb-s-3/