Low Carb Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 32 oz bag of frozen broccoli
- 4 oz. half a small package of rinsed, sliced, fresh mushrooms*
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 16 oz. shredded mild cheddar cheese*
- 1/2 tsp. garlic
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt unless using very salty homemade broth and then you'll want to adjust this
- 2 tablespoons baking blend
- 3-4 cups of 1/4 inch diced chicken*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x9 baking dish if you want a full dish but a 12x9 will carry better.
- Using a large heavy skillet (I used stainless) heat the broth to just boiling.
- Add the frozen veggies and mushrooms and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Once the water temperature on the veggies returns to boiling; turn the heat down to medium low and replace the lid.
- Set the timer for 5 minutes and check for fork tenderness on the broccoli and mushrooms. Mine usually take about 10 minutes.
- Once they're done, pour the broth out of the skillet and measure out 1 cup of it. Whisk the 2 tablespoons of baking blend into the broth until it is thoroughly incorporated. If the broth is extremely hot it should mix in easily. If not use an immersion or other blender to get it smooth.
- Return the broth mixture to the hot skillet with the veggies and add in the garlic, pepper and salt.
- Next add the cheeses to the mixture in the skillet and fold in till melted.
- Add the chicken to the mixture carefully and pour it all into a medium-sized oven-proof casserole dish*
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it is turning a very light golden brown.
- You can use 2 chicken breasts from a large rotisserie chicken for this dish
- I cooked 3 medium sized chicken breasts in the instant pot in 2 1/4 cups of water and used some of the broth for the recipe.
- If your chicken is very tender and you think it will shred when you mix it into the veggies and cheese just wait until it is all in the casserole dish and add the diced chicken to the top of the dish and press it in lightly.
- Canned, sliced mushrooms work really well in this recipe too.
- Be sure and use a mild cheddar cheese sauce to more closely replicate the flavor and texture of the velveeta cheese. The mild cheddar melts ito the sauce more smoothly and the flavor blends well in this dish.
- Out of THM Baking Blend? Make your own with one of these mixes. Low Carb Baking Mix is one made with xanthan gum instead of gluccie and Quick Mix developed by a THM admin to closely mimic THM Baking Blend for the DIYers. I would recommend either because both ladies are excellent bakers.
Recipe by Nana's Little Kitchen at https://www.nanaslittlekitchen.com/low-carb-chicken-broccoli-casserole/