Looking for a flavorful, bready little roll that mixes up with the ease of a muffin and keeps in the fridge for days while tasting just as good anytime you want to grab one and reheat it? Look no further! The texture and flavor of this roll is more bready than biscuity, but also very satisfying, and of course, I used THM Gentle Sweet THM’s New Baking Blend to achieve that goal! You get the boost of egg nutrition and protein in these “biscuits” right in the batter, with no detectable “egginess”.
I also, made them for some “non-dieters” that dropped by for breakfast, one of which was my 3 year old grand daughter and I got a thumbs up! I have been making gravy for most of my life and haven’t found any that I like much better than in this recipe for Sausage Rolls and Gravy. Give them a try!
You can make them in the larger muffin pans (as shown) which I like because they make a better gravy delivery system 🙂 , but they bake up very nicely as regular, on the go, muffins too!
Don’t have baking blend right now, but still want to make on-plan gravy? Here’s a link to a gravy recipe using xanthan gum in my archives.
I wanted to mention a few low carb gravy makers extraordinaire that I’ve learned so much from. I’m so grateful that my mom and grandma Vivian first taught me how to make and enjoy gravy and for these two bloggers who brought the whole low carb gravy thing into focus for me.
Sausage Rolls & Gravy
- 1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage, browned (check for added sugar, can use turkey or chicken sausage too
- 2/3 cup 0% greek yogurt (you can use a higher fat, but you don’t need it)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons water
- 5 eggs, beat in one at a time
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided-3/4 for muffins and 1/4 to sprinkle on top before baking)
- 3/4 cup THM Baking Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F and spray or grease muffin cups.
- In mixing bowl, combine yogurt, parmesan cheese, water, and beaten egg. Mix in the cooked, well drained, breakfast sausage and cheddar cheese. Then sprinkle the THM baking blend on top along with the baking powder, baking soda and salt,
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. This will fill 12 normal size or 6 of the Texas size pans. Sprinkle muffin tops with additional shredded cheddar cheese, if desired. Bake 20 minutes, until muffins are firm and lightly browned. I leave them moist on the inside and they will dry out nicely. A fork inserted into the middle of a muffin should not come out wet. Serve warm or room temperature. Absolutely delicious reheated two days later!
Sausage Rolls & Gravy
- 1 cup broth heated to just boiling and removed from heat (I used vegetable for this)
- 1 ounce cream cheese
Stir till melted and whisk well.
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon seasoning (I used Tony's cajun but it has gluten so use your favorite)
- Adjust seasonings because the flavor and spiciness of the sausage and broth will determine what you need.
- Add additional salt and pepper if desired and you can even splash an extra spoonful of cream in if you wish.
Now while the mixture is still very hot quickly whisk in:
- 1/4 cup Baking Blend
- That's it!
- If you need to adjust the thickness go ahead because this stuff is so stable it will not continue to thicken or do anything "complicated" like some of the other binders do.
- (You may use a stick blender or mini processor if you find the baking blend at all grainy and it will smooth right out.)