Most East Texas cooks have their own idea of a favorite Southern Barbeque Sauce and this is mine! Saucy, spicy and tangy, but mildly sweet this barbecue sauce is now low carb with no added sugar and of course, no flavor sacrifice whatsoever! If you are comparing it to a store bought bbq sauce this sauce would be closer to Stubb’s than KC Masterpiece.
Use this Southern Barbecue Sauce on beef, chicken or pork for grilling, baking or in the crock pot. This versatile sauce will work for either S, E or FP settings so let’s get cooking! Many thanks to my taste testers; my husband and barbecue buddy Steve and fellow THMer Tammy.
MrsCriddlesKitchen has a sweet BBQ Sauce that you can also check out here.
Watch for affiliate links in this post and please consider using them if you need to purchase products. These companies will reimburse me a small amount for your purchase to help me keep these recipes free at no extra cost to you.
Southern Barbeque Sauce
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon worstershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. mineralized sea salt (I use Celtic or Real Salt)
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tblsp. Gentle Sweet (or more) or 1/2 tablespoon truvia or Pyure
- 1/4 tsp. molasses
The following additions were suggested by my taste testers - Thanks Steve and Tammy! They
- weren't part of the original recipe but I think they are great additions!
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper OR 1 dash tobasco sauce (optional)
- Liquid smoke to taste (optional if you don't have it handy but very good!)
Stir it together and you're done! Stores very well in the fridge. Enjoy on beef, chicken or pork whether you grill, bake or cook them in a crockpot.