Sprouted Whole Wheat Cottage Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil an 8x5 inch glass loaf pan.
- 1/4 cup very warm water
- 1/4 cup carton egg whites or (2 egg whites plus 2 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3/4 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese2 tablespoons minced onion- optional *
- 3/4 teaspoon high mineral salt
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten flour*
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon super sweet or Pyure or Truvia
- 2 cups sprouted wheat or spelt flour
- Put all ingredients into a bread machine and turn on the basic mix setting to mix, knead, and allow the dough to rise thoroughly.
- Oil an 8x5 glass loaf pan.
- Once the bread has risen and the basic cycle is finished, remove the dough from the machine and turn it out onto the back of a metal baking pan that has been sprayed lightly with cooking oil.
- Using a rolling pin or even a tall cylindrical glass roll the dough into a rectangle that is roughly the width of an 8" loaf pan and maybe 15" long. (This is a fast and easy process).
- Start at the short end of the dough and roll it up semi-tightly into a nice firm roll of loaf shaped dough. If it is a little longer than the pan when you get it rolled up just put your hands on either side of the roll and squash it together to make it a size that fits easily into the loaf pan.
- Allow the bread to rise a second time until double.
- Don't forget to preheat the oven to 350 degrees during the second rising process.
- This bread baked perfectly in 30 minutes in a preheated electric oven but oven temperatures will vary.
- Although the oven temperatures and baking times may vary you can test the bread for doneness by thumping it and it should sound hollow and also by observing the bottom of the bread. It may be brown on top and not be done it must be brown on the bottom as well.
- Two slices equal 1 serving.
*I tried fresh minced onion and dried and both worked but preferred the fresh.
* Vital Wheat Gluten is optional for a better texture and longer shelf life but can be omitted.
Recipe by Nana's Little Kitchen at https://www.nanaslittlekitchen.com/savory-sprouted-wheat-cottage-bread/