A low carb, low fat side dish that it is versatile enough to be ready for whatever main dish you might decide to prepare and flavorful enough to hold it’s own with a low carb or low fat meal? This Simple Green Bean Side Dish is also great for leftovers because it can be paired with whatever you need it for in the meals to come.
I have been making this Mexican green bean dish since I was a teenager, but now I’ve lightened it up and made preparation much easier, without sacrificing flavor so that it will zip up a more bland seasoned meat dish or compliment a spicy one. The rotel tomatoes in the dish are where all the heat comes from so you can try making this with a the milder rotel tomatoes if you want to dial back the heat for the kiddo’s or for more sensitive palates.
This serves 6 as a side dish with approx. 4 carbs per serving and negligible fat.
Simple Green Bean Side Dish
- 2 can cut green beans, drained (I used the regular kind not the salt free)
- 1 can rotel tomatoes (this will be spicy so cut back to mild rotel if necessary, but the amount of tomatoes needs to remain for flavor)
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- Drain the beans and put them into a skillet and add the UNdrained rotel tomatoes and the chicken broth.
- Bring this to a full boil and turn the heat down to medium low and put a tight fitting lid on the skillet.
- Set the timer for 10 minutes and remove the lid and stir the beans. I usually replace the lid and leave them simmering for another 5 minutes at least or until they reach the desired tenderness.
- Then remove the lid and turn the heat up and continue cooking at a higher temperature until most of the liquid and flavor is cooked into the beans.
- This serves 6 as a side dish with approx. 4 carbs per serving and negligible fat.