This Sugar Free Buttered Rum Cake is my favorite so far! I grew up cooking and enjoying bundt cakes and so up until now I’d posted two and a half of my early favorites. The Cinnamon Bundt (Sock-It-To-Me) Cake came first, followed by the Maple Spiced Pumpkin Cake that was remininscent of a prune spice cake that was one of my childhood favorites.
This full sized Sugar Free Rum Cake is a follow up to a smaller sized recipe for Mini Snack Cakes with a Buttered Rum Sauce that was a mini recreation of the bacardi rum cake that I enjoyed at an Italian restaurant from my college days.
Get the latest updates from my social sites where I’m sharing recipes, tips, roundups and more every day! Follow me on:
Watch for affiliate links to products I have used in these recipes when testing them and those which I can fully recommend.
Sugar Free Buttered Rum Cake
For the Rum Cake:
8 ounce softened cream cheese
2 sticks softened butter (1 cup)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp rum flavoring (I got mine from Kroger and it has a great flavor)
1/4 tsp mineral salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
For the Rum Glaze:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Gentle Sweet or 1/4 cup Pyure or Truvia
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp xanthan gum
1 tablespoon rum flavoring
2 tablespoons melted butter
Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a medium sized bundt pan with oil.
Directions for the cake:
- Soften the cream cheese and butter to room temperature or just soften them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
- Add in the sweetener and eggs and beat with a stand or hand mixer for 5 minutes if possible otherwise whip thoroughly with an immersion blender.
- Mix in the vanilla, rum flavoring, and mineral salt until blended.
- Scrape the blenders with a large spoon or rubber spatula then sprinkle the baking blend and baking powder over the top of the wet ingredients and stir together until mixed in well. Don't over mix at this point so that the baking powder will rise well.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth down into the pan.
- Set the timer for 30 minutes and check for doneness by piercing with a cake tester or fork. When it comes out clean the cake is done. If necessary cook longer as oven temperatures vary.
- Pierce the cake all over with a fork while it is still in the pan.
- Immediately pour half of the buttered rum glaze on top of the hot cake while it is still in the pan.
- Allow to cool thoroughly then turn the pan on to a large cake plate and pour the remainder of the buttered rum sauce on top of it.
- The sauce will continue to thicken more as it cools so make sure some pools in the center of the cake. This will allow you to spoon it on to the cake as you slice it.
Directions for the glaze:
- Heat the water in a small to medium sauce pan to almost boiling and remove from heat.
- Quickly, whisk the sweetener into the hot water and add the salt.
- Sprinkle the xanthan gum carefully over the top of the HOT mixture in the sauce pan and whisk it rapidly to prevent it from clumping. Now add the rum flavoring to the finished glaze.
- It might take a minute and even foam up a little but keep mixing and it will incorporate into the mixture as long as it's hot. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Add the melted butter to the sauce and set aside until the cake comes out of the oven.
This post is participating in Meal Plan Monday with Simply Southern.