One of my favorite fringe benefits of having a food blog is getting to meet and talk to fellow foodies about…well… food! One of these ladies, Tammy, sent me this recipe last week and told me she’d just finished it and they loved it so what did I think? I thought, “Chocolate chips and cast iron skillets and cake in a THM Friendly package! I LOVE it!” So here it is the Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Skillet Cake.
I could tell by reading the recipe that it was going to be great and I was not disappointed. You may have seen some cookie type dishes of this sort, but in this recipe the cream cheese actually acts like a dough conditioner and imparts moisture and strength to the dough, rather than flavor, making it seem so much like a “real” chocolate chip cake that you will literally forget that it’s not!
Yum and double yum on this one ladies! Drop everything and make this rich, chocolate chip, cookie cake first chance you get.
Tammy made hers in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. I made mine in a 10 inch rounded bottom cast iron pan as pictured, and it filled it up completely, which I really liked for the purposes of picture taking. If you have an oven proof, non stick skillet in that size range you could also use it or just make some classic chocolate chip bar type cookies out of it using the 13 x 9 option. Either way you go you are in for a treat with no tricks; you have mine and Tammy’s food lovin’ word on it! Now here’s Tammy to tell more about the cake. ~ Teresia
“Torn between two loves – the cookie versus the cake. Since we first began our THM journey barely over a year ago, we were always searching for the perfect chocolate chip cookie. That’s what lead me to these Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies. As far as a “low-carb” cookie goes, she has pretty much nailed it. It’s not dry. It’s nice and firm so it doesn’t crumble away when you pick it up. I would definitely recommend it if you’re in the mood for a good cookie. But, if your taste buds are screaming out “GIMME’ CAKE!” that’s where this recipe comes to the rescue!
As is common around here, the tweaking began right away. Were it not for that low-carb cookie, this cake may have never happened! Seriously, if I could give you a money-back-guarantee that you’ll love this cake, or else, I really would! It’s moist. It’s rich. It’s decadent. Did I say it’s moist? And whether you feed it to avid THM recipe lovers, or serve it at your next non-THM family gathering, there will be no disappointment on either side…I guarantee ya’! Well, you know, in a virtual, cyber-guarantee sorta way!”
*”We ate these WARM right out of the oven and they were DIVINE. I accidentally had one COLD for breakfast the next morning with bacon and eggs and it was WONDERFUL that way too. Jason, my THMan loves to heat them in the microwave for 16 seconds. I hope you ENJOY!”~Tammy
*”I hurt myself eating this, I had missed a good chocolate chip cookie SO very much. Thanks Tammy!” ~Teresia
*Sweeteners: This combination created a cake that was PLENTY sweet for us and for our THM buddies – Cray and Jenny, who graciously tested this recipe for me. Our non-THM friends who still eat loads of sugar loved this cake, but didn’t think it was overly sweet like the sugary cakes they usually eat. Use your own judgment about sweetness. If you want to use THM Gentle Sweet or Super Sweet, you’ll have to adjust accordingly. I like the BULK that using this combo provided without over-sweetening the cake.
Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Skillet Cake
Preheat your oven and your 12” seasoned cast iron skillet to 350!Note! If you’re not using cast iron – spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with coconut oil and set aside while your oven preheats.
- 8 oz. brick of cream cheese (I used Philadelphia Cream Cheese Regular Fat here)
- 1/2 stick of salted butter
- 1 ½ TBSP all-natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp black-strap molasses
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup erythritol
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 2 doonks (1/32 tsp) pure stevia extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup unflavored whey protein (I prefer THM Pristine Whey Isolate)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- 1/4 tsp mineral salt
- 1/2 cup Lily’s chocolate chips
- The order of ingredients is very important here:Use softened/room temp wet ingredients not melted.
- In a mixing bowl add cream cheese, butter, peanut butter, molasses and vanilla and mix with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix all the sweeteners erythritol, xylitol and stevia. Use a big spoon to blend the stevia powder into the other granular sweeteners. Slowly add this sweet blend to your wet ingredients above with the electric mixer.
- Mix thoroughly until smooth and creamy.
- This next step is important: add the eggs one at a time and beat thoroughly after each one!
- In a separate bowl mix the almond flour, unflavored whey protein, baking powder, xanthan gum, and mineral salt.
- Slowly add the above well-mixed dry ingredients into the batter while using an electric mixer.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients – but don’t overmix.Big Chocolate Chip Finale!
- Fold 1/2 cup of Lily’s Stevia Sweetened Chocolate Chips into your beautifully smooth and creamy batter with a spatula.
- Pour your batter into the preheated cast iron skillet (or your baking dish) and spread out to all edges with your spatula
- Bake at 350 until golden brown on top (mine took about 40 minutes in the cast iron skillet in a gas oven)
*Mine took 35 minutes in a cast iron skillet in an electric oven.~Teresia*It's okay if it has a very slight jiggle when you pull it out. It contains a lot of cream cheese which will congeal as it cools so please check this dish carefully after 35 to 40 minutes!