This is THM S, Low Carb, Sugar Free Honey Bun Cake is delightful!
I love cinnamon and I use it every single day! In my morning hot tea and in many of my favorite chocolate recipes to intensify the flavor. But my number one way to enjoy it is in breads and other baked goods.
At the top of my pre-THM list of favorite goodies was honey buns, of course. So when I discovered that this cake would fill that void it was love at first bite!
So if you’re looking for innovative ways to use cinnamon you’re come to the right place!
And speaking of honey bun cakes here’s another one! This LOW CARB PUMPKIN HONEY BUN SNACK CAKE THM – S WITH THE PUMPKIN SPICE TWIST IS DELICIOUS ANYTIME.
But lovers of pumpkin/cinnamon enjoy it especially this time of year.
Be sure and check out some of my other cinnamon creations and recreations while you’re here. The Cinnamon Bundt Sock-It-To-Me Cake, MiniCinnabundts, and the Pumpkin Honey Bun Cake. The ever popular Sopapilla Cheesecake and the Gluten Free Sopapilla Cheesecake have pleasant hints of cinnamon along with the Mock Cinnamon Dolce Iced Latte and the Cinnamon Apple Cheesecakes.
Watch for affiliate links to products I have used in these recipes when testing them and those which I can fully recommend.
Sugar Free Honey Bun Cake
Ingredients for the cinnamon filling:
- *2 tablespoons Gentle Sweet OR 4 tablespoons xylitol or erythritol
- *1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon almond flour ~ adds bulk to the cinnamon layer you could use baking blend too
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup Gentle Sweet or ( 2 tablespoons Truvia)
- 1/2 cup fat-free greek yogurt (I use Chobani and 2% will work also)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup THM Baking Blend measure this scantly, do not pack it down!
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Ingredients for the glaze:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Directions for the cinnamon filling:
- Mix together in a small bowl and set aside.
For the Cake:
- Soften the butter to room temp.
- Next, add in the sweetener and beat, then add in the eggs one at a time beating after each and then the flavorings. Really beat some air into this cake at this stage.
- Add yogurt to the wet mixture.
- Now sprinkle the baking blend right on top of the well mixed wet ingredients, then sprinkle the baking soda and powder on top of all and mix by hand, just until it is mixed in well.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter in the bottom of the 8 x 8 pan.
- Next, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar filling all around the top of the cake and finish up with the other 1/2 of the batter.
- Place in the oven to cook at 325 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Test for doneness by inserting a fork in the dampest looking part of the cake and when the fork comes out clean the cake is done.
- While the cake is baking make the glaze.
Directions for the glaze:
- Soften the cream cheese well and then blend the cheese and melted butter together well (if the cream cheese doesn't want to mix just keep at it or it will taste good but the glaze won't be pretty if there are white specks in it).
- Then continue adding ingredients until they are well mixed and a glaze, rather than icing consistency.
*A note on the cinnamon filling: If you plan to be making lots of these type baked goods go ahead and make up a batch of my cinnamon sweetener and replace the cinnamon and sweetener called for in this recipe with it and simply add in the flour to make the filling. (This recipe is combined with some other spices but scroll down to the bottom of the post for it.)
*If you would like to double this cake it will make a thinner 13 x 9 inch cake but should be perfect in a 12 x 7" pan.