This low carb, Sugar Free Sopapilla Cheesecake is our favorite new dessert hands down! I found this sugary one on pinterest and decided it would be a great one to convert and add to my Fiesta Roundup of THM friendly foods next week.
Since I wanted to add a few more simple recipes on my blog I decided to try to make the crust for this super easy, cheesecake filling out of Mission Low Carb Tortillas and wow! It worked. Sweet and mildly flakey and with a nice crunchy bonus. YUM!
Looking for another THM version of this fantastic recipe with a gourmet twist? Head over to my friend Judy’s blog and check out this Strawberry Habanero Sopapilla Cheesecake !
Calling all Southern THM Foodies to click on this link and check out the latest unofficial FB group: THM Southern Foodies with Nana’s Little Kitchen where we’ll be sharing favorite THM Southern-style recipes both current and from years past plus kitchen tips, how-to videos and more! Hope to see you there soon <3
Get the latest updates from my social sites where I’m sharing recipes, tips, roundups and more every day! Follow me on:
My original idea for using these tortillas in this dish was for a quick, easy dessert, but that is the least of why I love this dessert now. Here are some pictures showing just what a cinch it is to make.
This recipe takes a total of 3 large (4 net carbs each) Mission Low Carb Tortillas. Two for the bottom and one on top.
This is not the first time I’ve reached for Mission Low Carb Tortilla’s when I needed an easy, delicious, dessert. We love this quick, little, Fried Ice Cream and I make it at least once a month around here. A favorite savory dish using these handy tortillas is my Skillet Enchiladas in Chili Gravy which makes for a fast easy, one skillet meal with a restaurant quality chili gravy that’s hard to beat.
For those of us who use these tortillas and are used to them on the Trim Healthy Mama Diet Plan the wheat tortillas will work fine in this recipe.
I originally used this white tortilla to make the dish as shown and if I’m taking it somewhere (which I do because it carries well) I will use this one because it is low carb and acceptable to use from my understanding. Servings are limited to 2 pieces of this cheesecake as a snack (or breakfast, YUM) or 1 serving as a dessert.
Sugar Free Sopapilla Cheesecake
Ingredients for the crust:
- 3 large - 8 inch (4 net carb) Mission Tortillas (Recipe developed with the (6 net carb white)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter*cinnamon/sweetener mixture**
- 2 parts granulated xylitol or erythritol to 1 part cinnamon OR 1 part Pyure to 1 part cinnamon
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 1/2 packages of low fat or regular cream cheese (12 oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract1/3 cup Gentle Sweet or
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Truvia or Pyure
Directions for the crust:
- Spray a shallow pie plate with oil on the sides.
- Cut one of the tortillas in half and leave the other whole.
- Spoon or brush enough butter on both sides of the tortillas to make the sweetener mixture adhere to the crust on one side and not stick to the pan on the bottom plus keep it from drying out.
- Arrange two of the buttered tortillas in the plate to cover the bottom and partially up the sides of the plate. (I cut one of the in half and arranged as pictured.)
- Sprinkle on top with the cinnamon/sweetener and bake in a preheated 350 degree over for 5-8 minutes. You want it to dry out a little but not get crisp and also not stay soft under the filling.
- While this is baking prepare the filling and top crust.Put butter and sweetener on the top of the 3rd tortilla and slice it in 8 pieces as shown this will form the top crust.
Directions for the filling:
- Melt the cream cheese for 30 seconds in the microwave and add the sweetener and vanilla and cream together well.Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the partially baked bottom crust and arrange the pieces of the top crust on the pie.
- Bake this until the filling is set and no longer jiggly. Keep an eye on it so the buttered sweetener doesn't get too dark but it was fine for the 20 minutes that it took to cook in my oven. If yours is not set and still jiggly after 20 minutes keep it in for longer.It must cool completely if you want it to slice nicely and not be a hot, but yummy, mess.