For years I made cookie crusted mini cheesecakes using vanilla wafers! Easy, no fuss, no mess, and real baked cheesecakes, plus they are really cute and a favorite at gatherings and potlucks. But…of course…totally off my diet plan! So here’s my fix; great tasting Shortbread Crusted Mini Cheesecakes!
First of all, you’ll need a fast, tasty, low carb cookie! My Pecan Shortbread Slice and Bakes fill that bill wonderfully and I really don’t think you’ll find a better cheesecake crust, period. This tender flaky cookie mixes in one bowl and when you wrap it in freezer paper it is ready when you are; just slice it thinner than you might want for a cookie; bake it to firm it up and fill with yummy cheesecake goodness! I basically just switched out the sweetener in the filling so that was easy enough. Make these little cuties the first chance you get and you’ll be glad you did!
I adapted the filling for this cheesecake from this recipe.
Shortbread Crusted Mini Cheesecakes
Shortbread Cookie Crust
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- *1/2 cup Gentle Sweet or 3/4 cup Swerve
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup psyllium flakes (not powder) --
- 1/4 cup Pristine Whey Protein or other approved protein powder
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the butter and cream cheese in a glass mixing bowl in the microwave briefly to soften.
- Cream together with a large fork or slotted spoon.
- Whisk in xylitol and stevia or sub in THM's new Gentle Sweet (as shown in recipe) !
- Then add in flours and protein powder.
- Stir in pecans until mixed and then plop the whole thing out onto a sheet of parchment paper.
- Fold paper over and shape into a nice fat log then open and check to make sure it is evenly shaped. I like to keep this roll nice and fat for big plump soft cookies, so if you're going for crispy make your adjustment here. Roll up and fold the ends of the paper together then put into the freezer or till it hardens so that it can be sliced minimum 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and slice into 1/4 inch pieces and shape into rounds to fit into the muffin pans.
- Place into sprayed silicone muffin baking pans or into cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350 for at least 10 minutes or until the cookie is dry to the touch.
- For some reason, this varies and if you get them completely done it won't hurt, but you will be rebaking them so don't overdo it.
NOTE-- Only approximately 1/2 to 2/3 of this recipe will be needed for the 12 mini cheesecakes but the batter can be baked into cookies when sliced to 1/2 inch or rewrapped and returned to the freezer for snacks anytime!
Shortbread Crusted Mini Cheesecakes
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 package cream cheese (room temp or softened in the microwave for 30 seconds)
- 3 tablespoons THM's [eafl id=2173 name="Gentle Sweet" text="Gentle Sweet"] or 1 1/2 tablespoons Truvia or 5 tablespoons Swerve
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- This filling recipe will basically fill 12 muffins but the cookie recipe will allow for 18 so doubling this filling recipe will let you use all the cookie dough if you like and they are sort of addicting so use your best judgment. I've taken these to two gatherings and got complaints that they run out too fast so I'm going to make 18 from now on :-)!
- Mix well until the filling is very smooth. Spoon over the cookie crust by the tablespoon. One and a half tablespoon will end up filling each to the 3/4 mark in my pans but this will vary. Bake at 350 degrees until the filling is set. I set the timer for 10 minutes and end up cooking them for 15 minutes.
- Top with sliced berries that have been presweetened by sprinkling them with sweetener and stirring to coat.